Don’t let the name fool you -- you don’t have to be an athlete to get athlete’s foot! Just walking barefoot along the pool deck, wearing sweaty socks, or forgetting to pack shower shoes in your gym bag can put you at risk of getting this red, itchy rash.
Athlete’s foot is caused by fungus that enters your body through even the tiniest breaks in your skin. Maybe you trimmed your toenails a bit too short, or stepped on something that left a scratch or cut -- the fungus will take that as an open invitation to come on in and wreak havoc!
Typically, the rash starts between your toes, but it can spread, crack, peel, and even blister. You need a game plan, and you need it fast! Here’s what to do:
- Come see us to confirm your diagnosis.
- Keep feet clean and dry.
- Apply or take anti-fungal medication. Over-the-counter options usually aren’t very effective. We will prescribe oral or topical medications that tend to have better results.
- Swap out those sweaty socks! Even if you must change socks and shoes several times a day, it is essential that you do not provide the warm, damp environment that fungi love! Choosing socks made of wicking materials will help keep moisture away from your feet.
- Dust your feet and the inside of your shoes with anti-fungal powder
- Do not walk barefoot in public places like locker rooms, gym showers, saunas, and pool sides.
Stick to this game plan and you will be victorious against athlete’s foot, plus keep it from making a comeback! For more tips or to schedule an appointment, don’t hesitate to contact our Round Rock or Cedar Park, Texas office at (512) 593-2949. We’re here to help keep your feet happy and healthy!