There is no one single cause of ingrown toenails. In fact, in many cases the fundamental cause may not be known. However, some of the known causes, as well as factors that might increase your risk, include:
- Injury to the toenail, such as a stubbed toe or dropping an object on your foot
- Wearing shoes that are too tight in the toe box
- Poor trimming technique—don’t cut too short or curved in the corners, but leave a little length and cut straight across
- Fungal toenail infections
- Heredity—some people just have more naturally flat or curved nails, which can lead to higher ingrown toenail incidence rates.
Some of these causes, like toenail trimming or footwear choices, are controllable or preventable. Some, like heredity, are not. But no matter what may have caused your ingrown toenail, Dr. Keith McSpadden can provide same-day relief via a simple in-office procedure. So don’t continue suffering—if you have a painful toenail bothering you, please set up an appointment at our Cedar Park or Round Rock offices by calling 512-593-2949.